Crotamiton is a topical scabicidal and antipruritic agent used for scabies eradication and for the relief of pruritus.
- Brand Names
- Crotan, Eurax
- Generic Name
- DrugBank Accession Number
Crotamiton is a scabicidal and antipruritic agent available as a cream or lotion for topical use only. It is a colorless to slightly yellowish oil, having a faint amine-like odor. It is miscible with alcohol and with methanol.
- Small Molecule
- Average: 203.2802
- Chemical Formula
For eradication of scabies (Sarcoptes scabiei) and for symptomatic treatment of pruritic skin.Reduce drug development failure ratesBuild, train, & validate machine-learning modelswith evidence-based and structured datasets.Build, train, & validate predictive machine-learning models with structured datasets.
- Associated Conditions
- Contraindications & Blackbox Warnings
- Prevent Adverse Drug Events TodayTap into our Clinical API for life-saving information on contraindications & blackbox warnings, population restrictions, harmful risks, & more.Avoid life-threatening adverse drug events with our Clinical API
Crotamiton is usually used to treat pruritis (itching of the skin) caused by scabies or sunburn. Crotamiton relieves itching by producing what is called a counter-irritation. As crotamiton evaporates from the skin, it produces a cooling effect. This cooling effect helps to divert your body's attention away from the itching. Due to this cooling effect it is also effective for the relief of sunburn. The drug is also believed to kill scabies through an unknown mechanism.
- Mechanism of action
Crotamiton is an antiparasitic that is toxic to the scabies mite. Crotamiton also relieves itching by producing what is called a counter-irritation. As crotamiton evaporates from the skin, it produces a cooling effect. This cooling effect helps to divert your body's attention away from the itching.
10 % absorbed when applied locally.
- Volume of distribution
- Protein binding
- Not Available
- Route of elimination
- Adverse Effects
- Improve decision support & research outcomesWith structured adverse effects data, including: blackbox warnings, adverse reactions, warning & precautions, & incidence rates. View sample adverse effects data in our new Data Library!Improve decision support & research outcomes with our structured adverse effects data.
- Not Available
- Pharmacogenomic Effects/ADRs
- Not Available
- Drug Interactions
- This information should not be interpreted without the help of a healthcare provider. If you believe you are experiencing an interaction, contact a healthcare provider immediately. The absence of an interaction does not necessarily mean no interactions exist.No interactions found.
- Food Interactions
- No interactions found.
- Drug product information from 10+ global regionsOur datasets provide approved product information including:dosage, form, labeller, route of administration, and marketing period.Access drug product information from over 10 global regions.
- International/Other Brands
- Crotamitex (Gepepharm) / Euracin (Green Cross (South Korea))
- Brand Name Prescription Products
Name Dosage Strength Route Labeller Marketing Start Marketing End Region Image Eurax Lotion 100 mg/1g Topical Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma Company 2009-06-01 2009-10-31 Eurax Cream 100 mg/1g Topical Bristol Myers Squibb Pharma Company 2009-01-01 2009-02-28 Eurax Lotion 100 mg/1g Topical Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. 2008-11-13 2018-04-30 Eurax Cream 100 mg/1g Topical Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. 2008-12-15 2018-02-28
- Generic Prescription Products
Name Dosage Strength Route Labeller Marketing Start Marketing End Region Image Crotan Lotion 100 mg/1g Topical Marnel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 2022-01-15 Not applicable
- Over the Counter Products
Name Dosage Strength Route Labeller Marketing Start Marketing End Region Image A-Bite Cream Cream Topical HOE PHARMACEUTICALS SDN. BHD. 2020-09-08 Not applicable CROTAMITON CREAM 10% v/w Cream 10 % v/w Topical SUNWARD PHARMACEUTICAL PRIVATE LIMITED 1990-06-18 Not applicable CROTAMITON LOTION 10% v/v Lotion 10 % v/v Topical SUNWARD PHARMACEUTICAL PRIVATE LIMITED 1990-07-17 Not applicable Crotamiton Lotion 10% w/w Lotion 10 % w/w Topical SM PHARMACEUTICALS SDN. BHD. 2020-09-08 Not applicable CROTOCORT CREAM 10% W/W Cream 10 % W/W Topical SM PHARMACEUTICALS SDN. BHD. 2020-09-08 Not applicable Eurax Cream 10% Cream 10 % Topical Columbia Laboratories 1953-12-31 Not applicable EURAX CREAM 10% Cream 10 g/100g Topical GSK CONSUMER HEALTHCARE SINGAPORE PTE. LTD. 1990-04-14 Not applicable GUARDIAN ANTI-ITCH CREAM Cream 10 % w/w Topical GUARDIAN HEALTH & BEAUTY 1996-07-17 Not applicable Itch-Soothe Topical Cream 10% w/w Cream 10 % Topical HOE PHARMACEUTICALS SDN. BHD. 2020-09-08 Not applicable PRITARAX CREAM Cream Topical PRIME PHARMACEUTICAL SDN. BHD. 2020-09-08 Not applicable
- Drug Categories
- Chemical TaxonomyProvided by Classyfire
- This compound belongs to the class of organic compounds known as anilides. These are organic heterocyclic compounds derived from oxoacids RkE(=O)l(OH)m (l not 0) by replacing an OH group by the NHPh group or derivative formed by ring substitution.
- Organic compounds
- Super Class
- Benzene and substituted derivatives
- Sub Class
- Direct Parent
- Alternative Parents
- Toluenes / Tertiary carboxylic acid amides / Organopnictogen compounds / Organonitrogen compounds / Organic oxides / Hydrocarbon derivatives / Carbonyl compounds
- Anilide / Aromatic homomonocyclic compound / Carbonyl group / Carboxamide group / Carboxylic acid derivative / Hydrocarbon derivative / Organic nitrogen compound / Organic oxide / Organic oxygen compound / Organonitrogen compound
- Molecular Framework
- Aromatic homomonocyclic compounds
- External Descriptors
- enamide (CHEBI:31439)
- Affected organisms
- Humans and other mammals
- CAS number
- InChI Key
- IUPAC Name
- General References
- FDA label
- Download (143 KB)
- Download (57 KB)
- Ranbaxy laboratories inc
- Summers laboratories inc
- Contract Pharm
- Ranbaxy Laboratories
- Dosage Forms
Form Route Strength Cream Cutaneous 10.000 g Solution Topical 10 g Cream Topical 10 % v/w Cream Topical 10 g Lotion Topical 10 % v/v Lotion Topical 10 % w/w Cream Topical Lotion Topical 10 % Emulsion Topical 10 g Cream Topical Cream Topical 100 mg/1g Lotion Topical 100 mg/1g Cream Topical 10 g/100g Cream Topical 10 % Lotion Topical 9.65 g Cream Topical 10 % w/w Lotion Topical 10 g Lotion Topical
Unit description Cost Unit Eurax 10% Lotion 454 gm Bottle 353.03USD bottle Eurax 10% Lotion 60 gm Bottle 54.21USD bottle Eurax 10% Cream 60 gm Tube 51.99USD tube Eurax 10% cream 0.27USD gDrugBank does not sell nor buy drugs. Pricing information is supplied for informational purposes only.
- Not Available
- Experimental Properties
Property Value Source melting point (°C) < 25 °C PhysProp boiling point (°C) 154 °C at 1.30E+01 mm Hg PhysProp logP 2.9 Not Available
- Predicted Properties
Property Value Source Water Solubility 0.353 mg/mL ALOGPS logP 2.7 ALOGPS logP 3.09 Chemaxon logS -2.8 ALOGPS pKa (Strongest Basic) -0.6 Chemaxon Physiological Charge 0 Chemaxon Hydrogen Acceptor Count 1 Chemaxon Hydrogen Donor Count 0 Chemaxon Polar Surface Area 20.31 Å2 Chemaxon Rotatable Bond Count 3 Chemaxon Refractivity 64.15 m3·mol-1 Chemaxon Polarizability 23.07 Å3 Chemaxon Number of Rings 1 Chemaxon Bioavailability 1 Chemaxon Rule of Five Yes Chemaxon Ghose Filter Yes Chemaxon Veber's Rule Yes Chemaxon MDDR-like Rule No Chemaxon
- Predicted ADMET Features
Property Value Probability Human Intestinal Absorption + 0.9905 Blood Brain Barrier + 0.9939 Caco-2 permeable + 0.8303 P-glycoprotein substrate Non-substrate 0.788 P-glycoprotein inhibitor I Non-inhibitor 0.8611 P-glycoprotein inhibitor II Non-inhibitor 0.709 Renal organic cation transporter Non-inhibitor 0.8494 CYP450 2C9 substrate Non-substrate 0.7767 CYP450 2D6 substrate Non-substrate 0.6383 CYP450 3A4 substrate Substrate 0.586 CYP450 1A2 substrate Non-inhibitor 0.9045 CYP450 2C9 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.9071 CYP450 2D6 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.9461 CYP450 2C19 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.9025 CYP450 3A4 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.831 CYP450 inhibitory promiscuity High CYP Inhibitory Promiscuity 0.7792 Ames test Non AMES toxic 0.7386 Carcinogenicity Carcinogens 0.5946 Biodegradation Not ready biodegradable 0.9764 Rat acute toxicity 2.1007 LD50, mol/kg Not applicable hERG inhibition (predictor I) Weak inhibitor 0.9726 hERG inhibition (predictor II) Non-inhibitor 0.8168
- Mass Spec (NIST)
- Download (9.18 KB)
Drug created at June 13, 2005 13:24 / Updated at October 02, 2023 22:06