Cefpodoxime is a third-generation cephalosporin antibiotic used in the treatment of various bacterial infections, including gonorrhea, community acquired pneumonia, and sinusitis.
- Generic Name
- DrugBank Accession Number
Cefpodoxime is an oral third generation cephalosporin antibiotic with effectiveness against most Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. Commonly used to treat acute otitis media, pharyngitis, and sinusitis, cefpodoxime proxetil is a prodrug which is absorbed and de-esterified by the intestinal mucosa to Cefpodoxime.
- Small Molecule
- Approved, Vet approved
- Average: 427.455
- Chemical Formula
- External IDs
- RU 51807
Indicated for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms.Reduce drug development failure ratesBuild, train, & validate machine-learning modelswith evidence-based and structured datasets.Build, train, & validate predictive machine-learning models with structured datasets.
- Associated Conditions
- Acute Bacterial Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis (ABECB)
- Acute Otitis Media (AOM)
- Acute Sinusitis
- Acute Tracheobronchitis
- Acute maxillary sinusitis
- Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Pneumonia
- Community Acquired Pneumonia (CAP)
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (LRTI)
- Neisseria Gonorrhoeae Infection
- Otitis Media (OM)
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (SSTIs)
- Streptococcal Pharyngitis
- Superinfection bacterial
- Tonsillitis streptococcal
- Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
- Uncomplicated Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (LRTI)
- Uncomplicated Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
- Uncomplicated Urethritis gonococcal
- Uncomplicated skin and subcutaneous tissue bacterial infections
- Contraindications & Blackbox Warnings
- Avoid life-threatening adverse drug eventsImprove clinical decision support with information on contraindications & blackbox warnings, population restrictions, harmful risks, & more.Avoid life-threatening adverse drug events & improve clinical decision support.
Cefpodoxime is shown to be effective against most Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, except Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococcus, and Bacteroides fragilis.
- Mechanism of action
Cefpodoxime is active against a wide spectrum of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Cefpodoxime is stable in the presence of beta-lactamase enzymes. As a result, many organisms resistant to penicillins and cephalosporins, due to their production of beta-lactamase, may be susceptible to cefpodoxime. Cefpodoxime is inactivated by certain extended spectrum beta-lactamases. The bactericidal activity of cefpodoxime results from its inhibition of cell wall synthesis. The active metabolite of cefpodoxime binds preferentially to penicillin binding protein 3, which inhibits production of peptidoglycan, the primary constituent of bacterial cell walls.
Target Actions Organism APeptidoglycan synthase FtsIinhibitor Escherichia coli (strain K12)
Cefpodoxime proxetil is a prodrug that is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and de-esterified to its active metabolite, cefpodoxime. Following oral administration of 100 mg of cefpodoxime proxetil to fasting subjects, approximately 50% of the administered cefpodoxime dose was absorbed systemically.
- Volume of distribution
- Protein binding
22 to 33% in serum and from 21 to 29% in plasma.
- Not Available
- Route of elimination
Over the recommended dosing range (100 to 400 mg), approximately 29 to 33% of the administered cefpodoxime dose was excreted unchanged in the urine in 12 hours.
2.09 to 2.84 hours
- Adverse Effects
- Improve decision support & research outcomesWith structured adverse effects data, including: blackbox warnings, adverse reactions, warning & precautions, & incidence rates.Improve decision support & research outcomes with our structured adverse effects data.
- Not Available
- Pharmacogenomic Effects/ADRs
- Not Available
- Drug Interactions
- This information should not be interpreted without the help of a healthcare provider. If you believe you are experiencing an interaction, contact a healthcare provider immediately. The absence of an interaction does not necessarily mean no interactions exist.
Drug Interaction Abacavir Cefpodoxime may decrease the excretion rate of Abacavir which could result in a higher serum level. Abciximab The therapeutic efficacy of Abciximab can be decreased when used in combination with Cefpodoxime. Aceclofenac The risk or severity of nephrotoxicity can be increased when Cefpodoxime is combined with Aceclofenac. Acemetacin The risk or severity of nephrotoxicity can be increased when Cefpodoxime is combined with Acemetacin. Acenocoumarol The risk or severity of bleeding can be increased when Cefpodoxime is combined with Acenocoumarol. Acetaminophen Cefpodoxime may decrease the excretion rate of Acetaminophen which could result in a higher serum level. Acetylsalicylic acid The risk or severity of nephrotoxicity can be increased when Acetylsalicylic acid is combined with Cefpodoxime. Aclidinium Cefpodoxime may decrease the excretion rate of Aclidinium which could result in a higher serum level. Acrivastine Cefpodoxime may decrease the excretion rate of Acrivastine which could result in a higher serum level. Acyclovir The risk or severity of nephrotoxicity can be increased when Acyclovir is combined with Cefpodoxime.Identify potential medication risksEasily compare up to 40 drugs with our drug interaction checker.Get severity rating, description, and management advice.Learn more
- Food Interactions
- Take on an empty stomach. Take at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Drug product information from 10+ global regionsOur datasets provide approved product information including:dosage, form, labeller, route of administration, and marketing period.Access drug product information from over 10 global regions.
- Product Ingredients
Ingredient UNII CAS InChI Key Cefpodoxime proxetil 2TB00A1Z7N 87239-81-4 LTINZAODLRIQIX-FBXRGJNPSA-N Cefpodoxime sodium 3ULP5169B3 82619-04-3 JNMXSNGAMPXCDR-XYNKDNFRSA-M
- Product Images
- International/Other Brands
- Banan / Doxef
- Brand Name Prescription Products
Name Dosage Strength Route Labeller Marketing Start Marketing End Region Image Orelox Tablet 100 mg Oral Sanofi Aventis Not applicable Not applicable Vantin Granule, for suspension 50 mg/5mL Oral Pharmacia and Upjohn Company LLC 1991-08-29 2007-10-29 Vantin Tablet, film coated 200 mg/1 Oral Pharmacia and Upjohn Company LLC 1991-08-29 2010-03-31 Vantin Tablet, film coated 100 mg/1 Oral Pharmacia and Upjohn Company LLC 1991-08-29 2008-12-31 Vantin Tablet, film coated 200 mg/1 Oral Pd Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 1991-08-29 2015-05-12 Vantin Granule, for suspension 100 mg/5mL Oral Pharmacia and Upjohn Company LLC 1991-08-29 2007-10-29
- Generic Prescription Products
- Mixture Products
Name Ingredients Dosage Route Labeller Marketing Start Marketing End Region Image INFEX PLUS 100/62.5 MG/5 ML ORAL SUSPANSIYON HAZIRLAMAK ICIN KURU TOZ, 100 ML Cefpodoxime (100 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Powder Oral CELTİS İLAÇ SAN. VE TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 2018-07-09 INFEX PLUS 40/62.5 MG/5 ML ORAL SUSPANSIYON HAZIRLAMAK ICIN KURU TOZ, 100 ML Cefpodoxime (40 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Powder Oral CELTİS İLAÇ SAN. VE TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 2018-07-09 INFEX PLUS 50/62.5 MG/5 ML ORAL SUSPANSIYON HAZIRLAMAK ICIN KURU TOZ, 100 ML Cefpodoxime (50 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Powder Oral CELTİS İLAÇ SAN. VE TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 2018-07-09 TEXEF PLUS 100/62.5 MG FİLM KAPLI TABLET, 20 ADET Cefpodoxime (100 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Tablet, film coated Oral NEUTEC İLAÇ SAN. TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 Not applicable TEXEF PLUS 100/62.5 MG GRANUL ICEREN SASE, 20 ADET Cefpodoxime (100 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Granule Oral NEUTEC İLAÇ SAN. TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 Not applicable TEXEF PLUS 200/125 MG FILM KAPLI TABLET, 20 ADET Cefpodoxime (200 mg) + Clavulanic acid (125 mg) Tablet, coated Oral NEUTEC İLAÇ SAN. TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 Not applicable TEXEF PLUS 40 MG/62.5 MG GRANÜL İÇEREN SAŞE, 20 ADET Cefpodoxime (40 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Granule Oral NEUTEC İLAÇ SAN. TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 Not applicable TEXEF PLUS 50 MG/62.5 MG GRANÜL İÇEREN SAŞE, 20 ADET Cefpodoxime (50 mg) + Clavulanic acid (62.5 mg) Granule Oral NEUTEC İLAÇ SAN. TİC. A.Ş. 2020-08-14 Not applicable
- ATC Codes
- J01DD13 — Cefpodoxime
- Drug Categories
- Chemical TaxonomyProvided by Classyfire
- This compound belongs to the class of organic compounds known as cephalosporins. These are compounds containing a 1,2-thiazine fused to a 2-azetidinone to for a oxo-5-thia-1-azabicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid moiety or a derivative thereof.
- Organic compounds
- Super Class
- Organoheterocyclic compounds
- Sub Class
- Beta lactams
- Direct Parent
- Alternative Parents
- N-acyl-alpha amino acids and derivatives / 2,4-disubstituted thiazoles / 1,3-thiazines / 2-amino-1,3-thiazoles / Tertiary carboxylic acid amides / Heteroaromatic compounds / Secondary carboxylic acid amides / Amino acids / Azetidines / Dialkylthioethers / Dialkyl ethers / Carboxylic acids / Azacyclic compounds / Thiohemiaminal derivatives / Monocarboxylic acids and derivatives / Organopnictogen compounds / Carbonyl compounds / Primary amines / Hydrocarbon derivatives / Organic oxides show 10 more
- 1,3-thiazol-2-amine / 2,4-disubstituted 1,3-thiazole / Alpha-amino acid or derivatives / Amine / Amino acid / Amino acid or derivatives / Aromatic heteropolycyclic compound / Azacycle / Azetidine / Azole / Carbonyl group / Carboxamide group / Carboxylic acid / Carboxylic acid derivative / Cephalosporin / Dialkyl ether / Dialkylthioether / Ether / Hemithioaminal / Heteroaromatic compound / Hydrocarbon derivative / Meta-thiazine / Monocarboxylic acid or derivatives / N-acyl-alpha amino acid or derivatives / Organic nitrogen compound / Organic oxide / Organic oxygen compound / Organonitrogen compound / Organooxygen compound / Organopnictogen compound / Primary amine / Secondary carboxylic acid amide / Tertiary carboxylic acid amide / Thiazole / Thioether show 25 more
- Molecular Framework
- Aromatic heteropolycyclic compounds
- External Descriptors
- cephalosporin, carboxylic acid (CHEBI:3504)
- Affected organisms
- Enteric bacteria and other eubacteria
- CAS number
- InChI Key
- IUPAC Name
- (6R,7R)-7-[(2Z)-2-(2-amino-1,3-thiazol-4-yl)-2-(methoxyimino)acetamido]-3-(methoxymethyl)-8-oxo-5-thia-1-azabicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid
- Synthesis Reference
Yatendra Kumar, Neera Tewari, Ram Aryan, Bishwa Rai, Hashim Nizar, "Process for the preparation of cefpodoxime acid." U.S. Patent US20050020561, issued January 27, 2005.US20050020561
- General References
- Not Available
- Human Metabolome Database
- KEGG Drug
- KEGG Compound
- PubChem Compound
- PubChem Substance
- Therapeutic Targets Database
- RxList Drug Page
- Drugs.com Drug Page
- FDA label
- Download (369 KB)
- Clinical Trials
Phase Status Purpose Conditions Count 4 Completed Treatment Otitis Media With Effusion (OME) 1 3 Recruiting Treatment Acute rhino-sinusitis / Acute Sinusitis / Rhino Sinusitis / Sinus infection / Sinusitis 1 1 Completed Treatment Diarrhea / Neoplastic Disease 1 1 Completed Treatment Healthy Subjects (HS) 1 1 Completed Treatment Neuroblastoma (NB) 1 1 Completed Treatment Solid Tumors 2 0 Terminated Treatment Osteomyelitis 1 Not Available Active Not Recruiting Other Anti-Bacterial Agents / Microbiota 1 Not Available Completed Treatment Urinary Tract Infection 1
- Not Available
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.
- Dispensing Solutions
- Murfreesboro Pharmaceutical Nursing Supply
- Northstar Rx LLC
- Nucare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Orchid Healthcare
- PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Utilization Management Program VA Inc.
- Pharmacia Inc.
- Public Health Department Seattle and King County
- Putney Inc.
- Ranbaxy Laboratories
- Redpharm Drug
- Dosage Forms
Form Route Strength Tablet, film coated Oral Granule, for suspension Oral Powder, for suspension Oral Granule, for suspension Oral 0.8 % Powder Parenteral 40 MG/5ML Powder, for suspension Oral 40 MG/5ML Tablet, film coated Oral 100 MG Tablet, film coated Oral 200 MG Granule, for suspension Oral 100 mg/5mL Granule, for suspension Oral 50 mg/5mL Tablet, film coated Oral 100 mg/1 Tablet, film coated Oral 200 mg/1 Tablet, coated Oral 100 mg Powder, for suspension Oral 800 mg Suspension Oral Granule Oral Powder Oral Tablet Oral 100 mg Granule Oral 40 mg/5ml Granule, for suspension Oral 40 MG/5ML Tablet, film coated Oral Granule Oral Tablet, coated Oral
Unit description Cost Unit Vantin 20 200 mg tablet Bottle 194.37USD bottle Vantin 20 100 mg tablet Bottle 137.26USD bottle Vantin 100 mg/5ml Suspension 100ml Bottle 133.84USD bottle Vantin 50 mg/5ml Suspension 100ml Bottle 70.34USD bottle Vantin 50 mg/5ml Suspension 50ml Bottle 36.95USD bottle Vantin 200 mg tablet 9.67USD tablet Cefpodoxime Proxetil 200 mg tablet 7.02USD tablet Cefpodoxime 200 mg tablet 6.41USD tablet Vantin 100 mg tablet 6.33USD tablet Cefpodoxime 100 mg tablet 5.11USD tabletDrugBank does not sell nor buy drugs. Pricing information is supplied for informational purposes only.
- Not Available
- Experimental Properties
- Not Available
- Predicted Properties
Property Value Source Water Solubility 0.185 mg/mL ALOGPS logP 0.05 ALOGPS logP -1.3 ChemAxon logS -3.4 ALOGPS pKa (Strongest Acidic) 2.75 ChemAxon pKa (Strongest Basic) 3.61 ChemAxon Physiological Charge -1 ChemAxon Hydrogen Acceptor Count 9 ChemAxon Hydrogen Donor Count 3 ChemAxon Polar Surface Area 156.44 Å2 ChemAxon Rotatable Bond Count 7 ChemAxon Refractivity 100.71 m3·mol-1 ChemAxon Polarizability 39.9 Å3 ChemAxon Number of Rings 3 ChemAxon Bioavailability 1 ChemAxon Rule of Five Yes ChemAxon Ghose Filter No ChemAxon Veber's Rule No ChemAxon MDDR-like Rule Yes ChemAxon
- Predicted ADMET Features
Property Value Probability Human Intestinal Absorption + 0.5556 Blood Brain Barrier - 0.984 Caco-2 permeable - 0.7549 P-glycoprotein substrate Substrate 0.7587 P-glycoprotein inhibitor I Non-inhibitor 0.8753 P-glycoprotein inhibitor II Inhibitor 0.6389 Renal organic cation transporter Non-inhibitor 0.8645 CYP450 2C9 substrate Non-substrate 0.8729 CYP450 2D6 substrate Non-substrate 0.8183 CYP450 3A4 substrate Substrate 0.535 CYP450 1A2 substrate Non-inhibitor 0.7905 CYP450 2C9 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.8017 CYP450 2D6 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.8895 CYP450 2C19 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.7558 CYP450 3A4 inhibitor Non-inhibitor 0.7875 CYP450 inhibitory promiscuity Low CYP Inhibitory Promiscuity 0.9144 Ames test Non AMES toxic 0.8249 Carcinogenicity Non-carcinogens 0.8656 Biodegradation Not ready biodegradable 0.9863 Rat acute toxicity 1.9732 LD50, mol/kg Not applicable hERG inhibition (predictor I) Weak inhibitor 0.9764 hERG inhibition (predictor II) Non-inhibitor 0.8162
- Mass Spec (NIST)
- Not Available
Spectrum Spectrum Type Splash Key Predicted GC-MS Spectrum - GC-MS Predicted GC-MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 10V, Positive (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 20V, Positive (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 40V, Positive (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 10V, Negative (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 20V, Negative (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available Predicted MS/MS Spectrum - 40V, Negative (Annotated) Predicted LC-MS/MS Not Available
- Escherichia coli (strain K12)
- Pharmacological action
- General Function
- Peptidoglycan glycosyltransferase activity
- Specific Function
- Essential cell division protein that is required for the synthesis of peptidoglycan at the division septum (PubMed:1103132, PubMed:9614966). Catalyzes the synthesis of cross-linked peptidoglycan fr...
- Gene Name
- Uniprot ID
- Uniprot Name
- Peptidoglycan synthase FtsI
- Molecular Weight
- 63876.925 Da
- Boaretti M, Lleo MM, Canepari P: In vitro activity, beta-lactamase stability and PBP affinity of RU 51,746-2, the active metabolite of the new orally absorbed cephalosporin ester, RU 51807. J Chemother. 1991 Jan;3 Suppl 1:57-61. [Article]
Drug created at July 23, 2007 13:09 / Updated at May 24, 2022 11:53